Have you ever wondered why Ariel has such gorgeous skin? (Besides the fact that she’s a Disney character that is.)
Mermaids know a secret ingredient and it’s in the algae, sea lettuce and plankton they swim with.
Fittingly in Earth Day Month, a tidal wave of marine-inspired skincare products are making a splash this month due to their skin softening and plumping benefits. Marine ingredients such as algae, sea lettuce and plankton are continuing to pick up steam in beauty products as the harvesting and preserving of these ingredients is becoming more effective and environmentally friendly.
Here are some of our fave beauty products that source their ingredients from the sea.
- Eterno The Time Eraser ($55, Amazon.com): One of the key ingredients in this eye cream is Irish Sea Moss containing hydrating, nutrient-rich blend of vitamins and trace minerals such as sulfur, iodine, calcium, magnesium, and selenium. The innovative formula claims to instantly — in just 60 seconds — eliminate the appearance of puffiness, sagging, crows feet, and fine lines. Infused with a powerful combination of stem-cell antioxidants and peptides the ‘Time Eraser’ cream soaks into the surface of your skin to tighten the skin from the inside out, rebuilding the collagen says the company.(We’ll letcha know once we try it!)
- jane iredale BeautyPrep™ Hyaluronic Serum ($52, janeiredale.com): Lightweight, non-greasy serum this antioxidant-packed option from jane iredale contains ingredients like sea lettuce, a type of green algae, and Japanese Wireweed, a brown seaweed. Along with ‘miracle’ hyaluronic acid, they hydrate the skin by giving the exact amount of moisture it needs depending on the given humidity levels. Editor’s Note: This is what we use. We saw a difference in just three days!
- Arbonne Rescue & Renew Detox Gelée ($58, Arbonne.com): This cooling gel can be rubbed on to help soothe tired muscles, as well as provide hydration for soft, smooth-looking skin thanks to green algae. Juniper berry fruit oil helps replenish the skin’s natural moisture barrier, as aromatic lavender and tangerine peel oils promote a sense of balance and peace.
- Nelly De Vuyst BioFemme Soothing Mask ($48, LuxuryOrganik.com): With soothing organic and antibacterial ingredients, this topical mask is ideal for the care of the bikini area and skin predisposed to ingrown hair as well as to calm irritations caused by razor, wax or laser procedure. Infused with Irish Moss, Aloe Vera, Chamomile Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, the mask offers hydrating and smoothing features.
- Dear by Renée Microdermabrasion Exfoliant ($49.95, DearbyRenee.com): This dual-manual and acid-based scrub loved by celebrity dermatologist, Dendy Engelman, loosens and dissolves devitalized cells to expose a more youthful appearance. This cocktail of clean ingredients includes Tego Stemlastin (a COSMOS-certified natural Algae Extract) to help maintain skin elasticity, boost elastic fibers, and protect epidermal stem cells; Jojoba Beads to provide effective, gentle exfoliation; and Aloe botanical to calm inflammation and redness. Skin will feel silky smooth and appear more radiant with each application.
6. G.M. Collin Marine Collagen Revitalizing Mist ($40, GMCollin.com for spa locations nationwide or Skin1.com for online retail) The first anti-aging, active beauty mist to hit the U.S. market, it provides immediate radiance, intense hydration and instant comfort to a dull complexion. Skin is revitalized while its potent marine-based formula works its magic to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles caused by fatigue and stress. BONUS: It also protects against environmental stressors and dryness accompanied by cold weather so you’ve got all you need in one travel-friendly bottle.
- NeoCell Marine Collagen – $17.99 – VitaminShopee.com NeoCell Marine Collagen is a premium nutricosmetic formulated to promote healthy, strong, and hydrated skin. Collagen is one of the main constituents of the skin and is responsible for its structural integrity. Hyaluronic Acid is an essential nutrient for tissue hydration. These premium ingredients work synergistically with a vita-mineral blend to support healthy collagen formation and youthful, radiant skin.
- Eighth Day Cleansing Gel ($75, EighthDaySkin.com) Select marine and plant-based ingredients in the cleanest formulations, free of toxic additives form the foundation for this soothing formula helping restore the natural balance of skin microflora, removes skin debris, and neutralizes micro-toxins. Activate while you cleanse with EIGHTH DAY® Cleansing Gel: a blend of bioactive exfoliative enzymes to brighten your complexion and probiotics to restore, detoxify, and purify your skin from the ravages of day-to-day exposure.
So take a beauty note from Mermaids and look under the sea for your next beauty find.