Ah, Mardi Gras. An excuse to party, wear beads and behave in a festive manner. Or, as we like to call it, Friday.
In the spirit of the celebration, here’s a twist on a classic Sazerac cocktail, native to New Orleans.
Basil Hayden’s Cajun Sazerac
Created by Brittini Rae Peterson (Los Angeles)
2 parts Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon
1/2 part Cajun Spice Syrup*
5 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
Sprig of Thyme
1. Combine all ingredients into a mixing glass with ice.
2. Stir until well chilled and strain into a cocktail glass.
3. Garnish with the zest of a lemon a sprig of thyme.
*Cajun Spice Syrup
1 cup Water
1 cup Sugar
1 tbsp. Cajun Spice
1. Combine all three ingredients in a saucepan and warm.
2. Stir until sugar and Cajun Spice are fully dissolved into the water.
3. Strain into an empty container and set aside.