NYFW kicked off this week with numerous catwalks, including fashion designer Rebecca Vallance’s Spring/Summer 2016 Collection. As stunning as all the fashion was the models effortless, sleek hair so we snagged some backstage tips from Joico Celebrity Hairstylist Paul Norton, whose high profile clients include Gina Rodriguez and Robin Wright.
Paul’s natural-looking hairstyle look truly complemented the Rebecca Vallance Spring/Summer 2016 collection, which is all about luscious volume without bulk, and positively radiant shine. Starting with very smooth hair at the crown of the head, Paul focused on a creating a hair look that was a modern take on the 70’s by adding texture and volume, starting mid-length through the ends with a contemporary curl.
Get the Look:
1. The foundation of the look is hair that is rich in color and luminosity! And because healthy hair is happy hair and great looking hair, use color-infusing/balancing shampoos and conditioners to get vibrant hair color and shine.
a. Brunettes try Joico’s Color Balance Blue to prevent or correct brassiness
b. Blondes try Joico’s Color Balance Purple to boost shine and correct any developing orange tinge
c. Redheads try Joico’s Color Infuse Red for longer lasting, rich color.
2. Once hair is washed, prep damp hair with Joico’s Heat Set focusing on the roots. Distribute evenly throughout the hair. This helps to reduce drying time, de-frizz and allows for great weightless styling control.
3. Using a round brush, blow-dry hair starting from the roots, angling the nozzle downward so hair is ultra-smooth and flat at the crown. Follow-through to the ends, rounding under slightly.
4. Once hair is dry, spray the hair with Joico IronClad and flatiron starting at the root area down about 2 inches.
5. Using a large curling iron or a wand, curl 1 inch sections of hair away from the face. The curl should begin several inches away from the root (avoiding the area that was previously flat ironed) and continue through to the ends.
6. Once hair is curled, use a large paddle brush and vigorously brush through all of the curls, to create a super glamorous full and bouncy wave.
7. Finish the look using Joico’s all-star Hair Shake. Start from the bottom and work your way up to add instant texture and volume. Section out the hair and lightly finger backcomb the hair, so it stacks on top of itself to fill out the ends.
8. For the final step, tilt head back allowing the hair to dangle down freely and set the style with Joico’s Flip Turn hairspray for added body and flexible hold.